Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Running

The Bubs and I had a not-so-average Fall day today during our run. The weather was in the high 60's and we're near the end of October. We're not arguing, we're just saying. We did maybe 3 miles today. I find that the run is no longer about how far I can run, but rather how far I can run before the Bubs gets bored of riding in the stroller. Our runs are longer too. After the run, I release the Bubs from his straps and have him run around. This is the fun part now. I get to relax and maybe even get some stretching in while the little guy wanders around the soccer field.

I have one full 26.2-mile marathon and four, 13.1 half-marathons under my belt, but none were ran in the past 3 years. I will be running in a 9-mile run this Thanksgiving. I'm running with my brother and cousins. I remember running with my father on a fair amount of 3 to 5-mile runs periodically through the years. This will be one of a handful of runs with my brother. I'm more of a loner runner lately, but I look forward to running with the Bubs when he is old enough. I'm hoping that the runs that I'm taking him on now influence his interest in running later. It's all selfish planning really.

I remember seeing a story on television about a father who has ran with his son, who is handicap, for more than 20 years. They're a team. They do triathalons as well. The father said that when he learned that bringing his son along on his runs made his son feel free from his non-working limbs. This instantly inspired the father to create the journey they've been on together ever since. Here's the clip I found on Youtube: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-48560039-1', 'domesti-dad-at-home-dad.blogspot.com'); ga('send', 'pageview');