Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bubs and Education

Bubs 1 and his Harvard onsie
The two bubs have their 529 college funds in place. They're mom took care of this after each one was born. Impressive. It was exactly how she was raised. The bubs will be reminded throughout their lives, like she was, that they will have the privilege to attend college. The idea of attending college will likely be ingrained into each of them. His mom and I will remind them of the privilege and opportunity that they can take advantage of after they graduate high school. We will be able to also tell them that not all kids have the opportunity to go to college.

Bubs 2 and his UCLA tshirt
When I was growing up going to college was an opportunity, but never discussed. I only remember my father mentioning it one time. When I was 17, and I just received my driver's license, my father was able to purchase a second car and leave his first car in the driveway for me to use. I remember him saying, "If you change the oil every (3,000 or 6,000 miles), then this car will take you through college."

Bubs 2 on Wilkes U campus
His statement shocked me. I'll never forget the feeling, as I stood there in the kitchen of his house on Layton Road.


I'm not sure if I was more shocked about the fact that I was about to have a car that I could use whenever I needed, or the fact that I was expected to go to college. The reason it was so shocking was because I had never been to a college-campus visit or on a tour. I didn't even take the SAT exam. My high school counselor never said a word to me about college. It wasn't that I never thought I would or wouldn't attend college, but rather it was the simple fact that I was never asked to think about it. When I lived with my mother, she never mentioned it. She never went to college herself. However my father did attend college when I was 8, 9 and 10 years old. He gained his college degree(s) prior to leaving the family and moving to another state for a job. In hindsight, I'm surprised that he never took the lead on getting me prepared for college when I started high school. Needless to say, after he said his statement about using the car through college, it was never discussed again until I graduated high school. I ended up registering for classes (last minute) at a local community college after the summer.

That was the start of my 14-year college career to attain a four-year degree. Better late than never, I say. :)
Savings Jar
I decided to tell Bubs 1 that this was his "savings jar" (pictured left). It was just a large pickle jar where I was collecting loose change of mine. I think that if he has a visual of what a "savings" looks like, then he can begin to grasp the concept more easily (as his mom and I begin reminding him of his college savings).

I can't wait to tell my two little guys the story about how I found out that I was going to college. It's not the best story, but it's going to be a reminder to them that a successful college career should be planned well ahead of the first day of classes. Plus, when it comes to how our society distributes jobs and makes decisions on who gets which job, a college degree is a must.

I'm already thinking about scheduling a campus tour at a nearby university. I wonder if the university tour guide will allow me time to change a diaper or two along the campus walk?

No comments:

Post a Comment

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-48560039-1', 'domesti-dad-at-home-dad.blogspot.com'); ga('send', 'pageview');