Total Pageviews

Friday, January 21, 2011

Social Training


The Bubs spent the day with Ms Gayle today. Ms Gayle watches a handful of kids for a couple of the professors at the college. She lives about one mile away and everyone who knows her, raves about her. Ms Gayle has a structured day for the kids that come over to her home. They learn the days of the week and even do projects together. We have the Bubs going over to her house a couple days per week. It's a great opportunity for him. Spending all day, every day with me is ok but getting him around other two-year olds and another trust-worthy adult is key. The Bub's mom and I already see a change in his behavior tonight... just after one day there. We can tell that he learned a lot about the world today. We can see the wheels turning in his head as he walks through the house after returning from Ms Gayle's. He knows every nook and cranny of this place after spending more than one year here every day. He seems to have a new appreciation for his digs. It's nice to see. Refreshing really.

For one reason or another, I grew up believing that sending your kid to a daycare was a deficit. I was raised at home and never set foot in a daycare. In fact, I never went to pre school either. On top of that, I started Kindergarten just two weeks after my fifth birthday. Talk about stacking the deck against a kid as I was basically tossed into a new world of structure and order at 5 years old. I no longer think that sending your kid to daycare is a "deficit." I now see it as a must-do for all kids in order to prepare them properly for the system that awaits them, a.k.a. the public school system. Let's just say that my story supports sending your kid to daycare. ;)

Why did I used to think that daycare was a negative in a toddler's life?Perhaps I was simply stereotyping that all daycares to be the same? Maybe it was because of the horror stories I learned about from the media and my family? I don't know. However, there were a few members of my family who were (and likely still are) big proponents of keeping your kids at home.  I enjoy no longer being on one side or the other. It's nice to take a little from both sides. The important thing is that the Bub's mom and I are on the same page and believe that a little of both (home and daycare) are very good for our little guy.

Maybe it's not too late for me. Perhaps I can locate a daycare center where adults can go. I'm just looking for somewhere that I can hang around with other people my age and and explore my surroundings. A place where someone tells when it is time to eat lunch and tells me when to take a nap. Hmmm... come to think of it, I think there are institutions like that out there. I think I'd like to stay at home actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o), m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) })(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga'); ga('create', 'UA-48560039-1', 'domesti-dad-at-home-dad.blogspot.com'); ga('send', 'pageview');